Fire destroys home, elderly residents misplaced

On Tuesday, November, 27 shortly after 7 p.m. the Chase City Volunteer Fire Department responded to a residence on Mountain View Drive, just off of East Organsville Road for a report of a structure fire. Upon arrival firefighters were met with a fully engulfed two story residence. Firefighters from Chase City along with Clarksville Volunteer Fire Department and Bacon District Volunteer Fire Department assisted, as well as Chase City Rescue Squad, Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, Mecklenburg Electric and the American Red Cross. 

Chase City Fire Chief Charles Magann said that the biggest problem that the firefighters encountered was the water supply. Magann said that the driveway was very narrow and rough, causing problems getting the trucks in and out to provide water to put out the fire. Chief Magann said that they were able to set up a draft site at a pond that was close by and begin drafting water from there to help with the situation. Unfortunately the house was a total loss and the American Red Cross was called in to assist the residents with housing and other arrangements. Mecklenburg Electric also responded to disconnect power to the residence.

An elderly male resident was slightly injured when he fell trying to exit the residence, and an elderly female was also at home at the time of the fire, but escaped without injuries. Along with the residence being a total loss, Chief Magann said there was also a shed and vehicle that were also damaged in the fire. The vehicle was a total loss, and the shed sustained some damage as well. 

Chief Magann also wanted to stress to residents of the county to be aware of their driveway conditions and be conscious of whether or not emergency vehicles can access their residence in the case of an emergency. He said that because of the driveway situation on Tuesday, it made efforts to extinguish the fire more difficult.